Golf is a beloved sport enjoyed by many, but even the most dedicated player may not know all of its interesting secrets. You might know the basics, like the fact that a course has 18 holes, but you may not be aware of the facts you’ll see below. Whether you just want to learn something new or you want to impress in a quiz, we can guarantee you’ll be thinking about these facts the next time you’re walking around Tampa golf courses.
- Golfers have been playing for centuries! The modern game originated in Scotland in the mid-15th century. However, there’s evidence of similar games being played around the world at a similar time.
- The longest-running golf tournament is known as The Open Championship and dates back to 1860 in Scotland. This tournament has been held every year with the exception of World War I and II.
- Arnold Palmer, known as “The King,” was the first golfer to make more than $1 million in career earnings.
- The world record for the longest competitive drive is 515 yards, set by Mike Austin in 1974 at the 9th Annual US Senior National Open.
- The highest golf score ever recorded on one hole was a 25 by Enrico Bertina in Switzerland in 1982. He hit 15 shots before finally getting his ball out of the water hazard.
- The United States is home to more golf courses than any other country in the world, with over 15,500 courses.
- The longest par 7 hole ever recorded was a 1,120-yard hole at Sano Course in Japan’s Shizuoka Prefecture. It was built by former Japanese Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto.
Golf can be a surprisingly interesting sport when you take the time to learn about its fascinating history and its current record-breaking feats. Whether you’re an experienced golfer or just starting, there’s always something new to learn about this beloved game. With these seven facts in mind, we hope that your next golf outing will be full of fun facts and memorable moments. Now get out there and start swinging.
Facts You May Have Known
In the second half of this guide, we’ll be talking about some facts that are more well-known for people just entering the golfing world for the first time. Even if you’re a seasoned golfer, there is always something new to learn about this beloved sport.
- Professional golfers typically hit their ball at least 200 yards for a drive.
- The average length of a golf course is 6,500 to 7,000 yards.
- An official round of golf requires 18 holes to be completed.
- In 2015, the USGA set the maximum handicap index at 36.4 for men and 40.4 for women in the U.S.
- The average golf score of a recreational golfer is about 90 strokes for 18 holes.
- The diameter of a golf ball must be between 1.68 and 1.72 inches to be considered a professional-grade ball.
- Golfers can choose from an array of clubs, including drivers, irons, wedges, and more.
Golf is an incredibly complex game that can take years to master. But with these quick facts in mind, you’ll be able to start your journey on the green with confidence. Whether you want a competitive edge or just want to look like a pro, knowing these fun facts about golf will surely come in handy (even if just to impress the family!).